
Five contract extensions at Hertha
Five contract extensions at Hertha

On Sunday, the 19th May at the AGM, Michael Preetz announced contract extensions for Vedad Ibišević, Maximilian Mittelstädt and three academy players.

With 120 Bundesliga career goals, Vedad Ibišević is one of the all-time highest scoring non-Germans. Only Robert Lewandowski, Claudio Pizarro and Giovane Elber are ahead of him in the rankings. The former two, at around the 200 goal mark, are practically uncatchable, but Giovane Elber is only 13 ahead of Hertha’s Bosnian veteran. The 34-year-old has made his intentions known: He wants to beat the Brazilian’s record, and he will attempt to do so with Hertha, having extended his contract with the club. "Vedad is our captain and he is a true leader. He’s experienced everything in his long career and he serves as a role model, particularly for our younger players. Aside from that, he has proven this season how important a player he is for the team, so we are happy to be keeping him," said sporting director Michael Preetz. The forward is equally happy about the contract extension: "I am still very happy here, and I’ve noticed in the last few months that my body can keep up, and I want to continue playing football. The talks went well and it was clear very quickly that we both wanted the extension," he said.



Maxi is not the only Hertha youngster who has committed his future to the club. Dennis Jastrzembski, who came to the capital in 2015 and signed a professional contract last summer, has also extended by a number of years. The youth international, who has played eight times for the Germany U19s, made his debut in the season just gone and made five appearances in total. He also came on from the bench in the DFB-Pokal and set up the winner in the 2-1 win against Braunschweig.
Florian Baak, who has worn the Hertha colours since 2005, is also staying in the capital. The centre back has been part of the first team squad since 2017 and has extended his contract, which was expiring this summer. After moving to the Old Lady from the Reinickendorfer Füchse, Baak worked his way through the youth system and singed a professional contract on July 1st 2017. In April 2017, the defender had made his Bundesliga debut. Since then, he has made two first team appearances. "We are convinced that Dennis Jastrzembski and Florian Baak will continue to make good progress with us. Both have earned their place in the first team squad through continuous hard work. Now we want to support them in making the next step," explained Preetz.
