Looking to the start of the season
Teams | September 1, 2020 at 06:36 PM

Looking to the start of the season

Looking to the start of the season

With a smaller squad, Hertha begin the penultimate week of pre-season on Tuesday (1/9/20), thus edging closer to the start of the season on 11th September 2020 in Braunschweig.
Berlin – 35 long days of intensive and energy-sapping preparation have been and gone. On Tuesday (1/9/20), the Blue-Whites’ 36th day of training marks the start of both the sixth week of pre-season and the long-awaited month of September. The final stage of pre-season is underway and Hertha are a step closer to the 2020/21 season; the first match against Eintracht Braunschweig is about a week and a half away (11/9/20, 20:45 CEST). Now of all times, head coach Bruno Labbadia can only work with a small squad as he seeks to fine tune preparations in the remaining ten days before the first round of the DFB-Pokal. “We have no time to lose. We’re almost missing 14 days through the coming international break,” said the coach about the problem last week.
Trio work individually – Luca Netz returns
In addition to the ten players missing due to the international break, Labbadia is also without Dedryck Boyata (Achilles tendon), Dodi Lukébakio (minor ankle injury) and Karim Rekik (minor groin injury), who are training individually. Niklas Stark (minor infection) also missed the training session, but he should return to squad training in the next few days. But there was also some good news: youngster Luca Netz completed squad training for the first time since his metatarsal injury. “In the last few weeks, Luca has worked a lot with our fitness coaches. We’re really pleased that he’s back again”, said the coach. Along with the 17-year-old, Labbadia has a total of nine outfield players as well as three goalkeepers in Alexander Schwolow, Nils Körber and Florian Palmowski available. The twelve enjoyed training - diagonal balls and crosses with finishing before more shooting practice. Matheus Cunha, Jessic Ngankam and co. looked particularly dangerous in front of goal. “The international break obviously doesn’t fit our plans, but we’re nonetheless confident that we’ve managed to achieve a lot – we need to make sure that the boys are ready when the cup game in Braunschweig comes around. But obviously we’re confident heading into this game,” says Labbadia about training at Schenckendorffplatz.
There are a further five training sessions planned for this week before Hertha have their final rehearsal for the season with a friendly against Hamburger SV (5/9/20, 17:00 CEST).  “Because of a possible new rule (people returning from high-risk areas would have to self-isolate for five days), there is a chance that one or two players who have been on international duty could be available on the Saturday – like our three Netherlands U21 players for example. Then they could be available for the friendly before returning to their national sides. We’re in open discussions with the association about it,” says the 54-year-old. On Sunday morning (6/9/20), the squad will leave Hamburg and return to the capital city to complete the 41st day and penultimate week of pre-season.

Berlin – 35 long days of intensive and energy-sapping preparation have been and gone. On Tuesday (1/9/20), the Blue-Whites’ 36th day of training marks the start of both the sixth week of pre-season and the long-awaited month of September. The final stage of pre-season is underway and Hertha are a step closer to the 2020/21 season; the first match against Eintracht Braunschweig is about a week and a half away (11/9/20, 20:45 CEST). Now of all times, head coach Bruno Labbadia can only work with a small squad as he seeks to fine tune preparations in the remaining ten days before the first round of the DFB-Pokal. “We have no time to lose. We’re almost missing 14 days through the coming international break,” said the coach about the problem last week.

Trio work individually – Luca Netz returns

In addition to the ten players missing due to the international break, Labbadia is also without Dedryck Boyata (Achilles tendon), Dodi Lukébakio (minor ankle injury) and Karim Rekik (minor groin injury), who are training individually. Niklas Stark (minor infection) also missed the training session, but he should return to squad training in the next few days. But there was also some good news: youngster Luca Netz completed squad training for the first time since his metatarsal injury. “In the last few weeks, Luca has worked a lot with our fitness coaches. We’re really pleased that he’s back again”, said the coach. Along with the 17-year-old, Labbadia has a total of nine outfield players as well as three goalkeepers in Alexander Schwolow, Nils Körber and Florian Palmowski available. The twelve enjoyed training - diagonal balls and crosses with finishing before more shooting practice. Matheus Cunha, Jessic Ngankam and co. looked particularly dangerous in front of goal. “The international break obviously doesn’t fit our plans, but we’re nonetheless confident that we’ve managed to achieve a lot – we need to make sure that the boys are ready when the cup game in Braunschweig comes around. But obviously we’re confident heading into this game,” says Labbadia about training at Schenckendorffplatz.

There are a further five training sessions planned for this week before Hertha have their final rehearsal for the season with a friendly against Hamburger SV (5/9/20, 17:00 CEST).  “Because of a possible new rule (people returning from high-risk areas would have to self-isolate for five days), there is a chance that one or two players who have been on international duty could be available on the Saturday – like our three Netherlands U21 players for example. Then they could be available for the friendly before returning to their national sides. We’re in open discussions with the association about it,” says the 54-year-old. On Sunday morning (6/9/20), the squad will leave Hamburg and return to the capital city to complete the 41st day and penultimate week of pre-season.

by Hertha BSC