Jurgen Ekkelenkamp celebrates his goal.
First team | September 17, 2021, 10:20 PM

A home win and a dream debut!

Pál Dárdai made five changes from the 3-1 win in Bochum. Márton Dárdai, Deyovaisio Zeefuik, Prince Boateng and Marvin Plattenhardt all came into the side, along with Myziane Maolida, making his first full start for Hertha. They replaced Vladimír Darida, Dennis Jastrzembski and Marco Richter, who dropped to the bench, as well as Lukas Klünter (shoulder operation) and Jordan Torunarigha (thigh). Davie Selke also returned to the team for the first time after breaking a rib against Bayern Munich. There was also a return for former Hertha goalkeeper Sascha Burchert, who started between the sticks for Fürth. Before kickoff, there was a presentation from the club to legendary Herthaner Nello di Martino, who celebrated his 50th anniversary as a Hertha employee to rapturous applause from the fans for his long service. Grazie, Nello!

Serdar has biggest chance, Boyata comes off injured

Both teams set out to play their way without compromise, our 3-4-2-1 setting up against the Fürth 4-4-2. Hertha had the first big chance of the half, coming through Suat Serdar. The two-goal match winner from last time out picked up the ball following good work from Ishak Belfodil and unleashed a shot from the edge of the box which whistled just wide (16’). The home side kept applying the pressure, but head coach Dárdai will have to deal with another defensive injury, with captain Dedryk Boyata coming off after 27 minutes with a problem. 17-year-old Linus Gechter came in to replace him, making his home debut in the process and performing strongly throughout. The “Old Lady” also created the final big chance of the first 45, with Deyo Zeefuik’s cross just too far ahead of both Serdar and Myziane Maolida to get any meaningful connection on the ball (40’).

Photo gallery: First home win of the season

A dream debut for Ekkelenkamp – comeback completed with passion

Our head coach made an attacking change to start the second half, with Dennis Jastrzembski replacing Marvin Plattenhardt. The first chance of the half fell to the away side, with Jetro Willems putting an effort well over from the edge of the box (50’). Belfodil then tested Fürth keeper Burchert, who was equal to his curling effort (54’). The home side were beginning to set up camp in the Fürth half, but just two minutes later, referee Tobias Stieler gave a penalty for a foul on Jeremy Dudziak by Zeefuik. Branimir Hrgota made no mistake from the spot, and the away side took the lead. Dárdai reacted immediately by bringing on the returning Selke and debutant Jurgen Ekkelenkamp. The latter would go on to have a debut to remember – just 87 seconds after coming on, the Dutch Under 21 international latched onto Márton Dárdai’s pinpoint corner and equalised with for the home side (61’)! Unfortunately, another Herthaner had to go off the field soon after, with Myziane replaced by Marco Richter due to a hamstring issue. Despite this, Hertha retained the upper hand and created the chances, with Selke going close twice in quick succession, hitting the side netting in the 76th minute and then being denied by Burchert two minutes later. Immediately after that though, the substitutes Richter and Ekkelenkamp combined to give Hertha the lead. A corner from Richter corner came back out to him, and his teasing ball in was turned home by Fürth defender Max Bauer, under huge pressure from the young Dutchman. That was the winning goal of the evening, and the 21,372 fans inside the Olympiastadion were able to celebrate a first Hertha home win of the season!


Hertha BSC: Schwolow; Stark, Boyata (27‘ Gechter), M. Dárdai; Zeefuik, Tousart, Prince (60’ Ekkelenkamp), Plattenhardt (46’ Jastrzembski); Serdar, Myziane (68’ Richter); Belfodil (60’ Selke)

SpVgg Greuther Fürth: Burchert; Meyerhöfer, Bauer, Viergever, Willems (64’ Barry); Seguin, Griesbeck, Dudziak (82’ Leweling), Nielsen; Hrgota, Itten (64‘ Abiama)

Goals: 0-1 Hrgota (58‘, Penalty), 1-1 Ekkelenkamp (61‘), 2-1 Bauer (79‘, Own Goal)

Yellow cards: Prince; Nielsen, Barry

Referee: Tobias Stieler

Attendance: 21.372

by Hertha BSC