Marco Richter in action against former Herthaner Fabian Lustenberger.
First team | July 8, 2023, 05:50 PM

Defeat against BSC Young Boys in pre-season

Hertha were back in action less than 24 hours after the 2-0 win over BFC Dynamo. This time around, Pál Dárdai’s men took on BSC Young Boys in Biel on Saturday afternoon. Tjark Ernst started in goal behind a back-four of Jeremy Dudziak, Marc Kempf, Filip Uremović and Jonjoe Kenny. Márton Dárdai partnered Veit Stange in defensive midfield, with Fabian Reese, captain Marco Richter and Marten Winkler behind forward Florian Niederlechner. The opposition captain was none other than Fabian Lustenberger. Sporting director Benjamin Weber and coach Dárdai presented our former number 28 with an “Exiled Herthaner” jumper before the game.

Chances at both ends

The game was played at a high tempo despite it being over 30 degrees in Switzerland. Niederlechner came close to giving Hertha the lead after just three minutes, firing just wide after a pass from Richter on the edge of the box. Two minutes later though, Young Boys went ahead. Kempf initially made a superb block on the line, but Lukasz Lakomy was there to score the rebound from just a few yards out (5’). Goalkeeper Anthony Racioppi saved a Marco Richter lob shortly afterwards (7’). Hertha’s shot-stopper Ernst suffered an injury and had to go off after the first drinks break. He was replaced by Alexander Schwolow (23’).

Our goalkeeper was left with no chance five minutes after coming on. A cross to the back post was tapped in by Joël Monteiro for 2-0 (28’). Reese saw his attempt pushed wide by Racioppi (36’) and then his cross two minutes later wasn’t met by anyone (38’).  The final notable moment of the first half was a curler by Lakomy, which went just wide (41’).

Plenty of changes – Bence Dárdai and Kanga on the scoresheet

Eliyas Strasner and Derry Scherhant came on for Winkler and Dudziak for the second half. Before the youngsters could really get into the game, the reigning Swiss champions got a third goal through Lakomy (50’). Schwolow made a smart save from close range to prevent an even greater deficit (53’). Richter burst in behind after 59 minutes, only to see his shot tipped onto the post by goalkeeper Racioppi. Following this opportunity, both coaches took the opportunity to make a number of changes. Linus Gechter took the captain’s armband from Richter, with fellow youngsters Joel Da Silva Kiala, Pascal Klemens, Mesut Kesik and Bence Dárdai all coming on. Gustav Christensen and Wilfried Kanga also got some minutes, with the latter facing his former club. He had the ball in the back of the net after 69 minutes, only to see the flag go up for offside.

Bence Dárdai pulled one back for Hertha with a fantastic strike into the top corner from around 20 yards out (70’). The players didn’t give up and searched for further goals, finding another one 11 minutes later. Dárdai played a through ball to Kanga and he was brought down by the Young Boys goalkeeper. Kanga stepped up himself to make it 3-2 (81’). However, Hertha’s hopes of completing a comeback were ruined by Jashar Dema’s late goal, meaning it ended 4-2 to the Swiss side.

Hertha BSC: Ernst (23’ Schwolow) – Dudziak (46’ Strasner), Kempf (60’ Gechter), Uremović (60’ Da Silva Kiala), Kenny (60’ Zeefuik) – M’ Dárdai (60’ Kesik), Stange (60’ Klemens) – Reese (60’ Christensen), Richter (C) (60’ Bence Dárdai), Winkler (46’ Scherhant) – Niederlechner (60’ Kanga)

Goals: 1-0 Lakomy (5’), 2-0 Monteiro (28’), 3-0 Lakomy (50’), 3-1 B. Dárdai (70’), 3-2 Kanga (81’, penalty), 4-2 Dema (87’)

Referee: Mirel Turkes

by Hertha BSC